Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bombay Bicycle Club Taking Over My Life




Kite flying and daisy chains finally have a soundtrack. Somewhere between the steel drum and the lyrics every girl and boy wants to be written about them, this became my favorite album of the winter time. Not that it hasn't be around for long enough (release date July '09), but as all albums it takes time to float to the top of my flashdrive pile. The album starts off strong in a soft sort of way with easy chord progressions synthed up by an armature, but as soon as the lofty intros cut out the sentiment of three note swings along with the musical equivalent of a warm breeze more then make up for it. Although the second half of the album drags a bit (tracks such as "Autumn" give you the sense that maybe love isn't really worth it), any fan of artful simplicity will be happy to listen all the way through.

The cover art, shot in the english equivalent to Prospect Park, speaks for the album. Throw someone above a crowd and they are king, they run the world, they are in love and they are happy. However, let them fall and they are wrecked, staying in relationships for comfort, sleep deprived and just "inches above the dust on the ground."

Something about the way Jack Steadman, lead vocalist, always sounds like he's about to break out into tears and bass lines worthy of the types of european parties you always hear about where boys dance and girls all ware backless dresses makes this album worthy of repeat. In the end, I now have completely unrelastic expectations that some boy with love me desperately enough that he will be "willing to owe [me] anything." I guess for now I'll just have to keep at the single "Evening/Morning" which I had the music fans unfortunate incident of declaring my favorite song on the album only to discover it to be the single.

Listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment